Saturday 28 November 2015

When you find yourself unexpectedly expecting...


When you find yourself suddenly and unexpectedly pregnant, you can’t help but look up articles, advice, blogs, etc. that talk about unplanned pregnancy. The thing is, the vast majority of these address unplanned pregnancy as a first pregnancy, usually under some sort of desperate circumstance; being too young, being single, being financially unable to raise a child. There really isn’t much to go on when you’re married, and already have three kids. It seems as if the idea of unexpected pregnancy for someone that already has kids is not meant to be a big deal. You’ve already got three, what’s one more? And maybe for some that is how it feels, but what if it isn’t?

The honest truth: when I saw the positive pregnancy sign on that pee stick I bawled my eyes out. I wept on the bathroom floor, while my three kids were sitting, eating lunch and “Dora the Explorer” was playing on the TV. I was paralyzed. I kept telling myself I needed to get up and take care of my kids, and all I could do was lay, glued to cold floor, and sob.

After the crying stopped, after I went about the rest of my day trying to act normal, and after the kids were asleep, I sat on my bed feeling like the most wretched human being on the planet. How awful was I? How ungrateful? So many people who so desperately want to have a child and can’t, and here I am crying about having a fourth? I wish I could say those feeling somehow made me feel better about the situation, but really it just made me feel guilty on top of all the other overwhelming feelings that were swirling inside me.

Let me be clear, it isn’t that I resent my unborn child. I’m sure that I will love her just as much as I love my other children. However, I totally resent being pregnant. I resent the months and months of endless nausea and barfing. I resent the agonizing pain in my joints because my body really doesn’t like having to expand to accommodate a growing human. I resent the headaches, the heartburn, the restless legs keeping me up at night. But above all of this, I resent the fact that I am now facing the possibility of going through postpartum depression. Again.

After both my first and second children I had postpartum, I was incredibly lucky to avoid it with my third. Now though, I am haunted by the fact that it could happen again. When baby number three was about six months I remember feeling this incredible feeling of relief, knowing that I had somehow managed to avoid it- especially since I had thought at the time that I was done having babies, so there was zero chance of having to go through the horror again. I always knew postpartum depression was a high possibility for me because I have a depressive mood disorder. I was totally unprepared for how much more difficult, more terrifying, and more debilitating postpartum would be in comparison to my “usual” depression. Mostly I think it was because it was no longer just about me, it involved another person- this tiny, innocent, little human being, that I was responsible for bringing into the world in the first place, was tangled up in this convoluted web of emotions that were so overpowering I was incapable of saving myself, let alone them.

When you’re someone with a history of depression, and especially postpartum depression, getting pregnant feels a bit like playing Russian Roulette. Even if you do everything to try and avoid it, even if you take all the precautions, there’s no guarantee that you won’t find yourself staring down the barrel of that gun and wincing as the trigger is pulled.

Of course, these are things you’re not supposed to talk about. Having a baby is supposed to be this happy, ecstatic time in your life. People expect you to be glowing, excitedly picking out names, planning the nursery, nesting, and all that goes along with it. It’s hard for some to understand that the fact that I’m scrubbing my house isn’t in anticipation of my new arrival, but because I clean and organize when I’m stressed, and right now I am totally losing my shit. I started decorating for Christmas early this year, not because I just couldn’t wait to set up the tree, but because I desperately needed to distract myself from how wretchedly afraid I feel these days. I thought the twinkly lights would cheer me up a bit. Maybe gallons of eggnog and pulling out the Christmas movies would take my mind of off things. But not even Clark Griswold has been able to numb the fear.

So here I am, fully admitting it, maybe even trying to embrace it. I’ve got a great husband, three amazing kids, and a beautiful home… and I am pregnant. I’m also a little angry, totally overwhelmed, and completely and utterly terrified. How’s that for brutal honestly?
Oh, and my feet are swollen- which isn’t really the main issue, but it sure as hell makes putting on shoes miserable, so I’m annoyed as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment